Sunday, April 21, 2013

Egyptian dispatch: Feb. 19, 2013


Romany, our Copt driver, takes us to the airport just past midnight, and we ask him to stay around as I want to make sure that the carpets of Arda's that we want to bring back will be accepted by the airline. They do and we phone him and say it's "OK and goodbye." 

A horribly nasty flight to Frankfurt, and then a gloriously empty one to Chicago and we're able to stretch out and get some sleep. Watched the documentary, Searching for Sugarman (2012) for the second time and it moved me as much as the first time. An incredible story about the vagaries of fame in the music industry.

We arrive at O'Hare and the passport control guy asks us what was the purpose of our visit to Egypt, it takes all my strength, as Nina and I briefly look at each other, not to start blubbing my eyes out, I say "we were there 'cause we've just lost our mother and wife." Later, waiting to pick up our luggage to go through customs Nina remarks that it's possible Arda's body could be in the airport at this moment. This resonated with my realization that the rolled up carpets we are bringing back look hauntingly similar to a wrapped up body. These four rugs that Arda had recently got extensively repaired will be one of the longer lasting legacies of this dear woman.

Taxiing on the runway for the final flight to Green Bay it strikes me that all three of us are coming home, no one is getting left behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment